Thank you for your interest in employment with the Horry County Police Department.
The Horry County Government Human Resources only accepts employment applications when there is a job vacancy. To apply for an open position, use the application portal linked above.
The Horry County Police Department conducts new-hire evolutions solely on an as-needed basis.
Listed below are the minimum qualifications for the position of patrol officer:
- High school graduate or equivalent diploma certification. An Associates or Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice and/or two years law enforcement experience is preferred.
- Must successfully complete the certification requirements of the South Carolina Criminal Justice Academy. Currently a 12 week program for uncertified candidates.
- Must have a valid South Carolina driver’s license with no prior convictions, guilty pleas, or pleas of nolo contendere in the previous five years for DUI.
- Must not have any prior convictions, guilty pleas, or pleas of nolo contendere for criminal domestic violence, or any felony or crime of moral turpitude.
- Must be in good health.
- Must be able to maintain a required level of proficiency in the use of firearms.
- Must pass SLED background investigation protocol to successfully complete NCIC Computer Terminal Operator training.
- Must be at least twenty-one years of age.
- Must pass Psychological Test.
- Must pass Polygraph.
The entry-level salary for a Class I Patrol officer is $38,095.00 annually. The salary for Certified Officers is $40,000.00 annually. This includes the assignment of a take home patrol vehicle and comprehensive health, medical and life insurance package. The Horry County Police Department does not compensate for any prior police experience or shift differential.
Applicants that currently possess a valid South Carolina, class I certified police officer’s certificate, do not have to attend basic training at the Criminal Justice Academy. Applicants that currently possess an out of State police officer’s certification will, at a minimum, have to attend six weeks of training at the SC Criminal Justice Academy.
If you have additional questions, feel free to contact the HCPD at the email address below. Thank you for your interest in the Horry County Police Department.